Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago
Our attorney fight for the rights of the injured
There are thousands of taxis in Chicago, and some drivers aren’t always responsible on the road. If you were injured in a taxi accident caused by negligence, you deserve financial compensation, but it’s not a simple process. That is why you need a car accident attorney from Keating Law Offices, P.C. fighting for you.
The more fares a taxi driver has during their shift, the more money they make. So, they may speed and run lights to get fares to their destination faster. This reckless driving can result in a car accident that leaves people seriously hurt. Injuries seen in taxi accidents include head and brain injuries, neck and spinal cord injuries, back injuries and broken bones. Research by the City of Chicago shows that at one point taxicabs were involved in one out of every twelve crashes involving a bicyclist.
Our firm fights to hold all negligent parties accountable after a taxi accident, and to help you recover the financial compensation you deserve. We know how to build strong cases that insurance companies must take seriously.
Attorneys who know the law and how to build strong cases
Here are five little known facts about taxi accidents:
- Taxicabs in the City of Chicago are required to have at least $350,000 in insurance coverage for injuries caused to passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and other users of the roadway (compared to a mere $20,000 requirement for motorists operating private vehicles on the roadway);
- Taxicabs are considered “common carriers” in Illinois. This means that they have a heightened duty to protect their passengers. In Illinois, common carriers have a duty to use the “highest degree of care” to keep their passengers safe. This heightened duty makes it easier for an injured passenger to establish liability on the taxicab driver for injuries and damages;
- There are multiple individuals and entities that can be liable for injuries or damages caused to others by taxicab drivers. In addition to the taxicab driver being liable for injuries and damages, the owner of the taxicab, owner of the taxicab medallion, and the taxicab affiliation (for example “Yellow Cab”) can be held liable, depending on the facts of the collision.
- Taxicab drivers in Chicago are not employees of the taxi affiliation displayed on the outside of their vehicle. This is yet another reason that obtaining compensation for injuries and damages due to the negligence of a taxicab driver can be complex.
- All City of Chicago taxicabs are required to be equipped with a Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) system that tracks the movement of on-duty taxicabs. The GPS data can be used to identify taxicab drivers involved in hit-and-run collisions.
Helping the injured in Chicago and throughout Illinois
If you were injured in a taxi accident, you deserve financial compensation. This includes compensation for all current and future medical expenses related to your injury. It includes lost wages if you can’t work. It includes certain other damages, such as pain and suffering.
Obtaining compensation for injuries and damages caused by the negligence of a taxi driver can be extremely complex. Not only does an attorney need to investigate the claim against the driver, but also against the company the driver was working for at the time of the accident. Cab companies go to great lengths to create multiple different companies involved in every cab.
The complexity of collisions involving taxis makes it imperative that you contact an attorney immediately to protect your rights. The taxi accident attorneys at Keating Law Offices, P.C. have extensive experience pursuing negligent drivers and their companies and recovering full and fair compensation for their clients. Contact us for a free consultation.