Chicago Bike Messenger Accident Lawyer
Injured bicycle couriers deserve financial compensation. Our law firm can help
Bike courier accidents in Chicago can have serious consequences. In an instant, a bike messenger can sustain a serious injury due to a bicycle accident caused by an aggressive driver who failed to share the road, resulting in a concussion or another severe injury.
When such bike courier accidents happen, injured cyclists need to act fast to protect their health and their rights. First, seek medical attention. Then, get legal advice.
Injured bike messengers should talk to an experienced Chicago bike courier accident attorney at Keating Law Offices. Founding attorney Michael S. Keating is a leader in the legal field and serves as chairperson of the Bicycle Litigation Group for the American Association for Justice. Don’t take chances with your future. Talk to an experienced lawyer at our Chicago law firm right away.
Why do bike courier accidents happen?
Many serious bicycle accidents involving bike messengers in downtown Chicago occur due to the negligent actions of a driver. Some examples include:
- Speeding, especially on busy downtown city streets in Chicago.
- Failing to follow the sections of the Illinois Vehicle Code that protect bicyclists.
- Driving on the bike lane.
- Distracted driving and texting while driving, even though it’s against the law in Illinois.
- Aggressive driving, especially in cases in which the driver doesn’t leave enough space between their vehicle and bicycle messengers.
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs.
- Tired driving or falling asleep at the wheel.
Is this how your Chicago bike message accident happened? Or are you dealing with a different scenario? Whatever the circumstances of your crash, make sure you talk to a lawyer right away at our law firm. We can help you understand all the legal options available to you.
What are common bicycle courier accident injuries?
When a car or truck hits a bike messenger, the injured cyclist often sustains very serious injuries. That’s because bike couriers don’t have much protection when it comes to collisions involving motor vehicles. Such serious injuries can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions.
- Wrist or forearm injuries.
- Knee or leg injuries.
- Broken bones or bone fractures.
- Spinal cord injuries and other back injuries.
- Neck injuries, including fractured neck bones.
- Internal injuries, including internal bleeding or organ damage.
Who is responsible for paying for my bike messenger accident?
All drivers are required to have some form of insurance in Illinois. In the event of a bicycle accident, the at-fault driver (and their insurance company) is responsible for paying the injured cyclist. This is because Illinois has an at-fault car insurance system.
This might sound straightforward, especially if another driver clearly caused your bike courier accident. But such cases often turn out to be very complicated legal matters. The insurance company will do everything they can to avoid paying the money they owe the injured cyclist. That’s because there’s often a lot of money at stake in such cases.
How much is my bicycle accident worth?
Injury expenses involving bike messenger accidents can easily add up to thousands of dollars or much more. That’s because the value of such injury claims should take into account all past, present and future anticipated expenses, including:
- The cost of all medical care an injured cyclist will need throughout their life due to their bike courier accident.
- Replacement income if the injured cyclists cannot work while they’re recovering from their accident.
- Lost future income if the injured bike courier cannot return to work due to a permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering in certain circumstances.
Why should I hire a Chicago bike courier accident attorney?
Just because a driver clearly caused your Chicago bike messenger accident doesn’t mean you will be fairly compensated for all your injury-related expenses. On the contrary, insurance companies often do everything they can to pay injured bike messengers as little as possible or nothing at all.
Our dedicated Chicago bicycle accident lawyers at Keating Law Offices can work with you to build a strong legal case designed to succeed. Whether we’re negotiating a better settlement offer or filing a bike messenger accident lawsuit on your behalf, you can count on us to always put your best interests first.
Demand the money you deserve. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with a Chicago bike messenger accident lawyer who will not rest until justice is served. We represent injured cyclists in Chicago and throughout Illinois.